Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bunco Babes

I am officially part of a Bunco group that call themselves the "Bunco Babes". I have been playing Bunco with this group almost every month for about a year. My friend, Gretchen Walters, got me into playing Bunco with this group. They are a mismatched group of suburban women that live in and around Corona. Their backgrounds, families, jobs, religions, and past times all vary the spectrum but they are all a blast to be around and every month they call to ask me to play I cant help but go.

I looked Bunco up on Wikipedia and if you are wondering what Bunco is, here is the history...

"According to the World Bunco Association, Bunco began as a progressive dice game in England, later being imported to the American West as a gambling activity. It was not until after the Civil War that it evolved to a popular parlor game. In recent years, the game has seen a resurgence in popularity in America, particularly among suburban women. As it is played today, Bunco is a social dice game involving 100% luck and no skill (there are no decisions to be made), scoring and a simple set of rules. Women who are part of a Bunco club take turns as the Bunco hostess, providing snacks, refreshments and the tables to set up the games. The hostess may also provide a door prize. Small amounts of money can be involved as well. The object of the game is to accumulate points and to roll certain combinations. The winners get prizes (provided by the hostess or pooled from the club resources) for accomplishments such as the highest score, the lowest score, or the most buncos.

Tomorrow's Bunco night!

3 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

WOw, how fun is that??? I have always wanted to know what that game was. I have heard of so many women having bunco nights and do not think I have ever seen anyone play it. Looks like a fun group of women and I am glad you play. YOU GO GIRL!!! Win me some money!!!

carolyn said...

I wish that I lived close enough to play Bunco with the Bunco Babes. Fun and good food what more can you ask for!

The Back Row Pew said...

What a cute group of friends. Amby also belongs to a Bunco group in Palo Alto. I think it keeps her sanity. Looks like fun.