Wednesday, July 29, 2009

MY BIG NEWS

My big news is that I'm pregnant! I am almost 20 weeks along (half way). The due date is December 21st. So far, everything is "normal" according to the doctor. I have found that doctors don't give you a lot of information on what is going on or what to expect. So, I've decided to take a Bradley Method class. I went for the first time last Wednesday and I loved it. We talked about exercise and nutrition, something I need a little help with (well, actually a lot of help with). I like having the structure and accountability of a class to get me to do the exercises that will be best for preparing me and to eat all of the nutrients I need to be eating.

Tom hates doctors offices and is petrified of hospitals. He hates needles or the sight of blood. He can't wait for the baby to be here but he is scared to death of the pregnancy and especially the labor. Up to this point, he has tried to avoid knowing anything that is going on with the pregnancy. But this week has been a transformation for him. He sat through my entire ultra sound, has been reading my pregnancy magazines, and will be going with me to my Bradley class tonight.

Both of us are amazed at the miracle of having a baby. It all seems so surreal. We just pray for a normal, healthy baby.

10 WEEKS (2 MONTHS):

This was my first ultrasound. I was amazed to hear the heart beat and see something actually growing inside me. Seeing and hearing the baby made it more real for me.

14 WEEKS (3 MONTHS):This was my second ultrasound in the first trimester since I changed doctors. During this ultrasound I definitely saw something between the baby's legs. I asked the ultrasound technician if it was what I thought it was and she said, "We don't know for sure until the second trimester ultrasound. But, I would bet on it." I had really wanted a girl so this was a shock to me. It took awhile for the idea of having a boy to sink in. I think I was just destined to hang out with males growing up, go to college with mostly males, work with mostly males, and then have a male baby. I have been watching boys and men differently ever since. I think I have seen a softer side of men and I have become more comfortable with the idea of raising a little boy.
18 WEEKS (4 MONTHS):The third ultrasound - the second trimester organ check. Everything looked normal and they confirmed that it's definitely a boy! Tom stayed with me through the whole ultrasound! A first.And what will the baby's name be? I think we have made our decision..... It will be Porter Rockwell Richins. Tom has always loved this name, since before we ever got married. From the moment he found out I was pregnant he started calling the baby Porter (whether it was a girl or boy). I like the name too. Porter was tough, loyal, and brave.

14 comments:

Joanne and Blair said...

GREAT NEWS! We are so happy for you and Tom and proud that we will have a wonderful new boy child! Blair doesn't know yet. I'll have him view your blog as soon as he gets home from washing the truck.
We love you both,
Joanne and Dad

SarahMarie said...

Sunny and Tom Congrats! I am so happy for you both. I love the name too and the pictures.I am so excited to see you in a few days.
Sarah

Bethers said...

I am so excited I called all my children! Michael and I love the name. You look so great. I would love to hear about the Bradley method....Love from Michael and Beth

The Back Row Pew said...

Sunny and Tom
WOW ! Congratulations and what a great post. You really documented your pregnancy. We couldn't be happier for you. Keep us posted.
Julie

The Back Row Pew said...

(This is GRANDMA GLO )
Congratulations. I am so happy for you.
Love
Grandma Glo

Amanda said...

How exciting! Impressive that you were able to keep it quiet so long! You look adorable and let me tell you, raising a boy is soooo much fun. I was nervous about it too, but it is amazing. And just wait, little boys LOVE their Mama's! It is so fun to see your baby boy look at you with complete love and adoration. You guys will be great!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Kip and I are totally proud of your name choice, SO COOL!!! I love it! Congrats on having a little boy, that is so super duper cool! You look great by the way, your little belly is so stinkin cute. Just wait to see what the second half brings belly wise, crazy how fast they grow from here on out. Congrats, you have a wonderful road ahead of you!

Ty said...

Congrats, you will be great parents.

Ty

Molly said...

Congratulations Sunny! How exciting for you and Tom! Boys are the best! Enjoy all these new changes to come!

Steph said...

Sunny! We are so excited for you! No worries! Baby boys are the BEST! You will be great! LOOOOVEEEE the name Porter!

dnbwilkesfamily said...

Congrats! I love having my boy first. I guess it just means you will have to keep trying for the girl! Look forward to seeing you!

Chelsea Conard said...

Congrats!!!! I am so excited. Porter Is such a cute name too!

Harmony said...

I'M SUPER DUPER STOKED!!!!! I loved this post! I love the photos and the ultrasounds and that you are doing the BRADLEY METHOD! awesome. You know I'm a big advocate and student of the Bradley method, so I'm really happy you've chosen to do that. Here is a post from a friend that just did her birth all natural! It really can be done. A boy! I tried to picture what you would have first, and I kind of saw a girl too I think, but oh, a boy, it will be so fun and he will be so adorable and have such awesome parents! Wish I were there to enjoy all of this with you, but as you said, (sorry i never responded to that email) we'll always be friends, and when I come back it will be like I never left. :) love you! http://www.rjboynton.blogspot.com/

Mama Mia said...

Sunny! I just decided to check in and WOW what great news...correction Beth called most of her children but not ME!! :) What a great surprise and we are so happy for you both!