Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Architecture Tour

Tom is my travel planner. I don't dream about going anywhere, yet when I get there I am amazed at the world outside of my daily routine. Lately, Tom has been interested in architectural history. So, a week ago he planned a tour of two historic architectural houses in Los Angeles, the Gamble House by Greene & Greene Architects and the Hollyhock House by Frank Lloyd Wright. We brought along our mothers and had a great, educational day. The Gamble House was built in 1908 for the Gamble Family of Proctor and Gamble Company. I've been to the Gamble House once before during an architectural summer camp at USC after I graduated from high school. I think I have even more appreciation now for the beautiful construction details after working on my own plans for the last 15 years and after working on remodeling our house for the last 5 years. Tom and I kept pointing out details that we liked about the house. What a beautiful house! I would love to live here. The Hollyhock House was built between 1919 and 1921 for Aline Barnsdall. Aline only lived in the house for a few months and then moved into the guest house because she didn't like the house. The Hollyhock House has unfortunately not been kept up very well and is in disrepair. However, it is still an architectural landmark because it marks a transition in Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural style from his Prairie style houses to experimenting with concrete and outdoor spaces. So, what is next on the architectural tour? Tom is planning our next field trip to Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin in Wisconsin. I've never been to Wisconsin. I'm looking forward to it. I'm currently reading "Loving Frank" to prepare for my field trip.

4 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

You guys are so cute! Seriously, so cute!

Harmony said...

diddo Sarah's comment. I love how you really LIVE. I mean you find the culture and beauty and uniqueness around you and celebrate it and appreciate it. I love that! I hope we get to do that together sometime.

Johnathan and Jannene said...

Really cool pictures. That is neat that you guys seek out cool things to do right here in Southern California. I would have never thought of going to these places, but now that I see the pictures and read your historical comments, it makes me want to go and visit these places.

Steph said...

Honestly, I would have LOVED to have tagged along on this tour of yours! I LOVE, LOVE architecture and looking at interesting buildings (especially interiors)! You are lucky to have a husband who appreciates this stuff too. I don't know if I could twist Steve's arm enough to do a trip like this? If it doesn't involve water slides or thrill rides, he doesn't see much point.