Monday, January 10, 2011

One Year

Porter turned 1 three weeks ago, right before Christmas. We had quite the birthday bash! The house was packed full of friends and family. Porter is a very loved little boy. I wish I would have taken more photos of the birthday party. I just don't want to forget anything. Balloons filled the ceiling and there was tons of food. It rained all day so we were all snug inside. I couldn't have imagined anything better!

Pj's from his birthday and learning to brush his teeth.

Christmas was special this year even though Porter didn't understand that it was a special day. My mom and I tried to get up before Porter woke up and put his little red car together but when we opened the box and saw how many pieces it came in we knew we were doomed. We'll just call this year a practice run. Hopefully by the time Porter understands the magic of Christmas, we'll have the "magic" part down. After opening presents at our house we went over to the Wilkes house to see what Santa Claus brought them. We stayed until Tom was kicked out for teasing too much and they just wanted to play with their new toys without Tom. Christmas Eve was spent at Grandma Sue's house with the cousins.A new box! A new backpack! I got this headband for Christmas and couldn't help myself. I had to put it on Porter and dream of having a little girl someday.Porter's favorite... a balloon!Porter pushing his little wagon. Still not walking on his own. I wont even try to speculate when he will decide to walk. Ive learned that there is nothing I can do to help him, he's got to decide he wants to walk on his own. Drinking cows milk and holding his own bottle. Life is getting a little easier!We have had lots of rain this winter. Here's Porter all bundled up for the cold.The cousins. Allie and Liam are so good to Porter. He already loves them. I hope these guys are always close.


I can't believe it has been a year. In some ways it seems like Porter has always been in our lives but in other ways it seems like he was just a baby yesterday and now he seems like a little boy. How did he change so fast right in front of me?! Porter has grown into his own little personality. He is stubborn and funny and full of life. He is in an exploring phase. He loves to open anything and empty out everything. Then he finds new homes for things and put things away for me to find later where I never would have expected. He puts his Lego's in his crib, the balls from the wac-a-ball in his clothes hamper, the balls from the ball popper in the basket with the blankets, the macaroni with the pots and pans, and the pots and pans on the floor. He loves to empty out the video cassettes from Denise's entertainment center and he goes about it like he has a job to do - so serious. He points to where he wants to go and what he wants. He can't talk but he can make it very clear what he wants and when he wants it. He is a good eater. He still likes baby food. Maybe because I'm not the best cook. However he does like bacon, pasta, apples, and any snack food, especially Cheetos. Right now he has 4 more teeth coming in - 2 back molars and 2 bottom front teeth. This is painful for him and he lets us know. Why do they have to come in waves all at once?! He loves to climb up and over anything - stairs, the side of the couch, me. He is still in a mama phase. He doesn't seem to have separation anxiety as bad, he just wants his mama. His two favorite words are "mama" and "ba". He seems to try out all the letters of the alphabet though. One day he will practice saying "ka" all day, the next day "da", and the next day "ga". He still gets hungry in the middle of the night, but then again, so does Tom. This is the only time I nurse him (Porter that is), although I would like to stop sometime soon. I always say maybe when he isn't sick or isn't teething or we aren't so busy, but of course that never happens. This year has been a VERY busy year. Too busy if you ask me. I was so worried I would miss something but actually I have enjoyed watching Porter grow and I look forward to him growing every day. I wouldn't change this experience for the world. Porter has changed my life and given it so much more meaning. I love being a wife and a mother more than anythinge else in the world!

1 comments:

Joanne and Blair said...

Dear Sunny, Having a child is definitely the most wonderful part of your life. The child is first in your life (at least it was for me), an always will be. Love and family are sooooo rewarding. Take care. Love to you and the family, Joanne