Saturday, August 7, 2010

Proud to be an American

Grandma Sue bought the grandkids these flags on the fourth of July. Porter played with his flag and then I put it in a junk drawer in my office. A few weeks later, as Porter was going through the drawers in my office he found his flag and was delighted. Since then, it has become Porter's ritual to make a b-line for my office drawer as soon as he is put in his walker to find his flag. Every night I put the flag back in my office drawer so it is there for him the next morning.

One day, he could not part with his flag and so it went to Denise's house with him for the day and then didn't make it back home that night. Tom knew Porter would go for my office drawer in the morning so he put Porter's giraffe in the drawer instead. In the morning, when Porter found his giraffe instead of his flag in the drawer he was very disappointed. He kept looking for the flag in other drawers but finally gave up. I was so sad for him so I made sure to get his flag back from Denise that day. Porter seems to grow more and more attached to this flag. If he is holding his flag and you try to take it away from him he becomes very upset. So, this flag has got to take a bath with Porter, sleep with Porter, and eat with Porter.
Every night the flag goes back in my office drawer so it is there for Porter when he goes to find it in the morning. It's amazing to me that Porter remembers where the flag is kept every day. I also wonder why he loves this flag so much. Is it because his Grandma Sue gave it to him? Is it because it come from my office so he thinks it's mine? Or is he just proud to be an American? It makes me want to sing "Proud to be an American" to him every time I see him waving his flag around.

1 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

WOW that is SO stinkin cute!!! I am so glad you blogged this story to always remember! He totally seems so much older to me than he really is. He seems SO advanced for his age. Seriously!!! I am impressed and love that his comfort object is an american flag. That cracks me up!
Can't wait to see you and him and his flag hopefully SOON!